Monday, March 7, 2011

Anthems to Liberation

I find it remarkable how songs can come back to me for different phases of living; music is so liberating and restorative of the soul, as it encapsulates pure energy. In addition to singing my own melodies (and encouraging everyone to make their own joyful noises: be self taught, use whatever instruments you have handy, and by all means do not be flawless - honor your soul's needs to express not impress), I find that whenever I take a stand to move forward on my values then I am invariably revisited by the spirit of some songs that I'd once loved and forgotten. The magic returns to teach me why they were so important back then and forever.

Last summer in the second entry of this blog I analyzed the significance of "Come Sail Away" by Styx, a song that amazed me in high school. This week two songs I'd forgotten since college are my newest anthems to liberation, even as I research more of my own role in the American Revolution. I knew that I was involved somehow less famously than the big names like Jefferson. My spirit could not have resisted the opportunity to carry forward the ideals of Athenian democracy which my soulmate and I had so enjoyed together in person, and to help make a new land safe for soul freedom.

Sunday morning I was given more appreciation for the strength in diversity that is so powerfully and uniquely a sign of Earth culture. This is the place to which many civilizations are cautiously gazing to see how the divine harmony embraces and supports in peaceful coexistence all the variations of consciousness. The populations of many other planets are much more homogeneous, and the history of evil on Earth has been largely about exploiting the fears of souls who have never before lived among so many different paths to God. From caste systems to eugenics, horrors have been committed by those who simply could not comprehend the love of the neighbor they had not previously met in a person.

It is vital to understand that the decisions are made at highest levels for who will be born on this planet, so that all may bring some potential to contribute to the coming of Heaven in matter. Very few planets are as richly abundant and generously supportive of being physical together as our beloved Gaia. Energies which don't belong are to be filtered naturally by Her nonphysical grid, which is in need of more healing. Only the democratic systems of inherent merit and class mobility which allow every individual to develop and shine will fulfill the Earth's plan to be a star of creation.

All People are created equal, so that each may find their own way to God. All Souls are infinitely great, because each is its own whole piece of the One.

The two songs that made my spirit rise up in college and now weep with understanding are "The Wizard" and "Lady in Black", both by Uriah Heep from the early 1970's. The Wizard is about a narrator meeting a Merlin type character who gives hope and courage to make the world a better place. Lady in Black is about a lost warrior who is visited on the battlefield by a Madonna of peace. Both are classic songs I would recommend as incredibly powerful anthems to find your own meaning, including spiritually romantic feelings since the singer, though male, could truly be either gender. I think it's a sign of the inspiration behind the songs that Spirit made sure the narrator would remain neutral for everyone to relate to equally.

I'll respectfully include lyrics below with a link for you to find a good version to hear on youtube. May they inspire a little more peace on the Earth as the winds and tides of revolution continue to sweep our planet ever more gently and wisely.


The Wizard
written by Ken Hensley, Mark Clarke
listen


He was the wizard of a thousand kings
and I chanced to meet him one night wondering.
He told me tales and he drank my wine.
Me and my magic man kinda feeling fine.

He had a cloak of gold and eyes of fire.
And as he spoke I felt a deep desire
to free the world of its fear and pain
and help the people to feel free again.

Why don't we listen to the voices in our hearts?
Cause then I know we'll find we're not so far apart.
Everybody's got to be happy, everyone should see.
For we know the joy of life and peace that love can bring.

So spoke the wizard in his mountain home.
The vision of his wisdom means we'll never be alone.
And I will dream of my magic night
and the million silver stars that guide me with their light.



Lady In Black
written by Ken Hensley
listen


She came to me one morning
One lonely Sunday morning
Her long hair flowing
In the midwinter wind
I know not how she found me
For in darkness I was walking
And destruction lay around me
From a fight I could not win
Ah ah ah...

She asked me name my foe then
I said the need within some men
To fight and kill their brothers
Without thought of love or God
And I begged her give me horses
To trample down my enemy
So eager was my passion
To devour this waste of life
Ah ah ah...

But she would not think of battle that
Reduces men to animals
So easy to begin
And then impossible to end
For she, the mother of all men
had counselled me so wisely then
I feared to walk alone again
And asked if she would stay
Ah ah ah...

Oh lady lend your hand I cried
And let me rest here at your side
Have faith and trust
In me she said
And filled my heart with life
There is no strength in numbers
Have no such misconception
But when you need me
Be assured I won't be far away
Ah ah ah...

Thus having spoke she turned away
And though I found no words to say
I stood and watched until I saw
Her black cloak disappear
My labor is no easier
But now I know I'm not alone
I find new heart each time
I think upon that windy day
And if one day she comes to you
Drink deeply from her words so wise
Take courage from her
As your prize
And say hello for me
Ah ah ah...

No comments: